National campaign saves the playground!Sunday, 3rd April 2011 9:41 am
A high profile play area is set to open after a nationwide campaign to restore funding for children’s playgrounds.
Emma Kane, of Hook Norton, Oxfordshire, launched the Save the Playground campaign last year after government cuts jeopardised funds set aside to create new playgrounds. She told the BBC that the Playbuilder scheme, introduced by the previous government, was a unique example of Big Society; uniting communities to secure funding. She also highlighted the importance of playgrounds in the fight against childhood obesity.
After tirelessly campaigning, securing coverage in national and local press, the government announced that 66 per cent of funding would be retained including the £47,000 allocated towards Emma’s local play area in Hook Norton.
Now, Emma’s hard work has been realised in a fantastic new play area that children will benefit from for years to come. She said: “We are delighted with our new playground – the equipment is superb and perfect for our setting and the quality and speed of the installation was outstanding. Playdale Playgrounds have helped us at every step along the way, and the final test is the children, who couldn’t be more thrilled with their new playground.”
The Save the Playground campaign addressed the cuts made by the government to the Playbuilder Scheme, which was introduced by the labour government to complement their Play Strategy in 2008. The scheme invested £235m and aimed to provide up to 3500 new and refurbished playgrounds for children across England.